Saturday, February 7, 2009

Aggie basketball

So I finally made it to an Aggie basketball game, the one against Louisiana Tech. I had read about how wonderful the student section is at Aggie basketball games, and I must give them credit...I've been to basketball games at the College of Wooster (a division 3 school where I went to undergrad with a very strong basketball tradition), and to games at two other schools with strong basketball traditions - Ohio State and Purdue. At Ohio State I have been to games both in St John arena and Value City Arena (I know, what a ridiculous name). At Purdue I have been to games in storied Mackey Arena (where the court is named after one of the coaching greats, Gene Keady). I have never encountered a student section that is as well coordinated and vocal as that of Utah State.
So what does this have to do with education, you might ask? Well, I would have liked to have had a video recorder to record the students while they were doing one of their cheers or signing. So when I got home I decided to check youtube for the aggie fight song. wasn't quite sure what it was called but it was cool when they were playing it and the students were waving their arms in unison. And lo and behold I found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24gog3CSSA
And I remembered that this week I had talked to my students about copyright, and mentioned that a lot of stuff in youtube is in violation of copyright. It's important stuff, as teachers can be sued or fired for using materials in violation of copyright. Unfortunately it is also a subject that has a lot of grey areas, something some of my students did not seem to like too much. So I thought to myself, "is this clip in violation of copyright?" Though it does have some subtitles, it did not seem to be a professional job, not meaning that it was bad but meaning that it did not seem like something out of a television studio. That's good, as if someone recorded it off TV, then that would be a copyright violation. So if it is just a homemade video, then it is probably not violating copyright by puting a link to the youtube page here.
Well, tomorrow it is my second attempt at skiing. I may become a real Utahn yet!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you made it to the loudest arena in the country! Check out this video that was posted to youtube recently. It was well done, it might have been the university that put this one out.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjT5h7j0GFk

    ReplyDelete